Purpose: The purpose of this module is explore how audiologists can support self-efficacy and self-advocacy iin teens who are deaf or hard of hearing as well as to support transition to post-high school settings.
As a result of completing this module, trainees will learn:
- How to support teens’ development of a positive sense of self and to develop self-advocacy skills during the teen years.
- How to use a questionnaire (SAC-A) to start a conversation with teens
- How to use screening tools to screen for mental health as well as resources for referrals for treatment
- How to support teens’ exploration of post-high school educational options that support students with hearing loss.
- How to provide resources to college students for obtaining classroom and educational support.
- How to transition a patient from care in a pediatric clinic to care in an adult clinic.
- Read the Teenage brain article
- Review the Transitions article
- Review the Guide to Access Planning website and checklist
- Review the additional resources in the Family Resources section
Return to Modules.